- Set Up: Set up is on the day of the event, starting at 6:00 a.m., and must be completed by 8:00 a.m. PLEASE NO EARLY BIRDS.
- Team Captain’s Meeting: A mandatory team captain meeting will be held on the day of the event at 8:00 a.m. Rules will be reviewed and questions answered.
- Awards: Awards will be announced at 7:00 p.m. (just before our headliner).
- Each BBQ team entry shall include 1 chef and 1 sous chef. Other guests can join the team’s cooking area, however, each additional guest is required to have a VIP ticket or All Access Pass.
- Teams will be assigned a 20’x20’ area and will be provided one 6’ table.
- Teams are responsible for providing all needed equipment and supplies, including meat, grill, utensils, chairs, pop up tent, etc. Only wood, wood pellet or charcoal grills are permitted. Propane or electric starters are permitted. NO deep frying or parboiling allowed. No holes or pits in the ground are allowed.
- House power will be provided. Generators are NOT permitted.
- BBQ Competition will consist of three categories:
- Wild Card – Any edible item you would like (be creative!)
- All competition meat shall start out raw, and any seasoning and cooking shall be done within the assigned team area. Uncooked meat must be kept cold prior to cooking.
- Teams will also compete for “Best Tailgate” – consider a lounge area, screens for viewing games, themed décor, etc.
- Teams can participate in any or all categories.
- No cash sales of food is permitted.
- Judging will begin at 1:00 PM and will be as follows:
- Tri-tip: Due at 1:00 PM or 1:30 PM (depending on group assigned)
- Ribs: Due at 2:00 PM or 2:30 PM (depending on group assigned)
- Wild Card: Due at 3:00 PM or 3:30 PM (depending on group assigned)
Teams will have a 10 minute window to turn in entries, e.g., tri-tip entries must be turned in between 12:55 PM and 1:05 PM for the first group, or between 1:25PM and 1:35 PM for the second group. Late entries will be disqualified.
- Entries will be served to judges in identical Styrofoam containers marked by organizer so as to ensure blind judging. Container should not be marked by teams in any way so as to make it identifiable.
- Please provide portions to serve six (6) judges. Meat may be served chopped, pulled, sliced or diced as the cook sees fit, but there must be a MINIMUM of six (6) identifiable, individual servings/pieces in the container. Ribs shall be turned in bone-in.
- Entries may be served sauced or unsauced. If supplying samples of sauced meat, please apply sauce directly to meat. No sauce in containers or pooled in serving containers will be allowed.
- Garnish is optional. If used it should be limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of green lettuce, kale, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro.
- A panel of local judges will be trained on BBQ judging and will score on appearance, taste and tenderness. Scores are weighted. The weighting factors for the point system are: Appearance – 0.5600, Taste – 2.2972, Tenderness – 1.1428.
- Trophies will be awarded to the top team in each category. There will also be a Grand Champion trophy awarded to the best overall team. Separate scoring will take place for “Best Tailgate” and the top team will be recognized.
- KCBS style scoring and judging will be utilized. Scoring will range from a low of 2.0 to a high of 9.0 for each category. Disqualifications will be scored a 1.0. Disqualification will result from late turn in and foreign object in Styrofoam turn in box (anything other than legal garnish and correct meat). Teams can review KCBS rules and regulations at https://www.kcbs.us/downloads/rules_reg_2018_2.pdf for more detail.
- Each team’s overall points from all BBQ entries will be totaled and the contestant with the most aggregate points is crowned Grand Champion. In the UNLIKELY event of a tie for Grand Champion, Wild Card scores will act as the tie breaker.
- You must adhere to all electrical, fire and other applicable stadium rules.
- Earliest arrival and fire start time is 6:00 AM.
- Each team should bring coolers to store meat, beverages & other supplies.
- No glass containers shall be permitted at any time and all stadium rules shall apply.
- IMPORTANT– The BBQ Pit will be sectioned off and accessible only by competitors and those with VIP Tickets or All Access Passes. Security Personnel will control the entries to the BBQ Pit. We encourage the teams to setup sampling stations, pass out leftovers/extras, etc. to your fellow BBQ Pit attendees. The majority of BBQ Pit attendees will be part of a Silicon Valley Pig Jig Sponsor team or affiliation. Trash talk is encouraged!
- FREE BEER WILL BE PROVIDED IN BBQ PIT from 10:00AM – 7:30PM (while supplies last)!
WHAT TO BRING
- Each team will be provided (1) 6’ table and a team banner. Total allotted space for each team = 20’ x 20’.
- Teams are responsible for…
- Grill and extension cords, if necessary.
- Everything required to cook and serve the judges (meat, cooking ingredients, utensils, plates, prep tables, etc.). 9×9 STYROFOAM TURN IN BOXES WILL BE PROVIDED BY SVPJ.
- Marketing materials (i.e. banners) for your business, if desired.
- Chairs, sanitary items (gloves, wipes, napkins, etc.)
Download a copy of the Silicon Valley Pig Jig BBQ Competition Rules and Information here: