- Set Up: Set up is on the day of the event, starting at 6:00 a.m., and must be completed by 8:00 a.m. PLEASE NO EARLY BIRDS.
- Team Captain’s Meeting: A mandatory team captain meeting will be held on the day of the event at 7:00 a.m. Rules will be reviewed and questions answered.
- Awards: Awards will be announced at 7:00 p.m. (just before our headliner).
- Each BBQ team entry shall include 1 chef and 1 sous chef. Other guests can join the team’s cooking area, however, each additional guest is required to have a BBQ Pit Pass, VIP ticket or All Access Pass.
- Teams will be assigned a 20’x20’ area and will be provided one 6’ table.
- Teams are responsible for providing all needed equipment and supplies, including grill, utensils, meat, chairs, pop up tent, etc. Only wood, wood pellet or charcoal grills are permitted. Propane or electric starters are permitted. NO deep frying or parboiling allowed. No holes or pits in the ground are allowed.
- House power will be provided. Generators are NOT permitted.
- BBQ Competition will consist of three categories:
- Wild Card – Any edible item you would like (be creative!)
- All competition meat shall start out raw, and any seasoning and cooking shall be done within the assigned team area. Uncooked meat must be kept cold prior to cooking.
- Teams will also compete for “Best Tailgate” – consider a lounge area, screens for viewing games, themed décor, etc.
- Teams can participate in any or all categories.
- No cash sales of food is permitted.
- Judging will begin at 2:00 PM and will be as follows:
- Tri-tip: Due at 2:00 PM
- Ribs: Due at 2:45 PM
- Wild Card: Due at 3:30 PM
Teams will have a 10 minute window to turn in entries, e.g., tri-tip entries must be turned in between 1:55 PM and 2:05 PM. Late entries will be disqualified.
- Entries will be served to judges in identical Styrofoam containers marked by organizer so as to ensure blind judging. Container should not be marked by teams in any way so as to make it identifiable.
- Please provide portions to serve up to six (6) judges. Meat may be served chopped, pulled, sliced or diced as the cook sees fit, but there must be six (6) individual servings/pieces in the container. Ribs shall be turned in bone-in.
- Entries may be served sauced or unsauced. If supplying samples of sauced meat, please apply sauce directly to meat. No sauce in containers or pooled in serving containers will be allowed.
- Garnish is optional. If used it should be limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro.
- A panel of local culinary & celebrity judges will score the BBQ entries and trophies will be awarded to the top 3 teams in each category. There will also be a Grand Champion awarded to the best overall team. Separate scoring will take place for “Best Tailgate” and the top 3 teams will be recognized.
- Scoring ranges from a low of 2.0 to a high of 9.0 for each category. Most points per category wins the contestant that category. Disqualifications will be scored a 1.
- Each team’s overall points from all BBQ entries will be totaled and the contestant with the most aggregate points is crowned Grand Champion.
- In the UNLIKELY event of a tie, Wild Card scores will act as the tie breaker.
- Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- Taste & Flavor
- Tenderness & Texture
- You must adhere to all electrical, fire and other applicable stadium
- Earliest arrival and fire start time is 6:00 AM.
- Each team should bring coolers to store meat, beverages & other supplies.
- No glass containers shall be permitted at any time and all stadium rules shall apply.
- IMPORTANT – The BBQ Pit will be sectioned off and accessible only by competitors and those with BBQ Pit Passes, VIP Tickets, or All Access Passes. Security Personnel will control the entries to the BBQ Pit. We encourage the teams to setup sampling stations, pass out leftovers/extras, etc. to your fellow BBQ Pit attendees. The majority of BBQ Pit attendees will be part of a Silicon Valley Pig Jig Sponsor team or affiliation. Trash talk is encouraged!
- FREE BEER WILL BE PROVIDED IN BBQ PIT from 10:00AM – 7:30PM (while supplies last)!
WHAT TO BRING
- Each team will be provided (1) 6’ table and a team banner. Total allotted space for each team = 20’ x 20’.
- Teams are responsible for…
- Grill and extension cords, if necessary.
- Everything required to cook and serve the judges (meat, cooking ingredients, utensils, plates, prep tables, etc.) STYROFOAM SERVING TRAYS FOR JUDGES WILL BE PROVIDED BY SVPJ
- Marketing materials (i.e. banners) for your business, if desired.
- Chairs, sanitary items (gloves, wipes, napkins, etc.)
Download a copy of the Silicon Valley Pig Jig BBQ Competition Rules and Information here: